Polka dots can be so fresh and fun. They can also be clowny, cheesy, too retro, or just unflattering. The key is the color, the size of the polka dot, and the garment. Let’s talk.
Choosing The Right Polka Dot Garment
When choosing the right polka dot garment, you want to keep these things in mind:
- Colors: Skip black and white polka dots and go for earth tones or pale colors.
- Size: The smaller the polka dot the better, but if you want to go big, make sure there is minimal contrast between the polka dot and the base color of the garment (as pictured on me).
- Garment: Polka dots always feel fresher when they are on a more modern or unusual piece, like an off the shoulder dress, sexy frock, jumpsuit, formal gown, or masculine top.
How To Wear Polka Dots
Once you pick out your polka dot apparel, skip the pearls. You want to keep all retro influences away from this vintage pattern. Instead, try one of the three suggestions below:
- Neutral or simple shoes and jewelry are always a great way to go with polka dots.
- Choose a bold color for your shoes, jewelry, or outerwear to break up the two-tone look.
- Go wild and mix prints and colors.
Photos by Dayley Photography